Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Meal

For Mother's Day the girls were all excited to make breakfast in bed for mom. Jessica rumbled out of bed a little after seven and stared at me like a hungry wolf until I put down my breakfast spoon and my Sunday Daily News and agreed to get the morning breakfast going.

We had so much fun that later that day Stef and I decided to make a special Mom's Day dinner. We created a restaurant called Cafe Schramm (this took 4 seconds to name) and developed a menu for the evening. We decided on:

Italian bread with fresh mozzarella, olive oil, and basil (I forgot the tomatoes)
Spinach salad
Lobster bisque (bought, not made)
Steak (with rice and steamed broccoli)
Schramm Surprise (some fruit concoction with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, whipped cream and crumbled angel food cake we found on the Intergoogles)

Stef, Jess and I looked like we were on the set of Iron Chef. Ingredients were furiously chopped, diced, and spiced; pans flew around the kitchen like lies at a Glenn Beck town hall, and several beers were consumed while I ran from kitchen stove to outdoor grill to check on the steaks.

Jessica acted as our server, offering up a hand-designed menu and a glass of red wine to start the meal. We had a great time cooking together, and I realized that the girls know a lot more about cooking than I do. They threw out terms from various cooking shows and seemed to know where everything was in the kitchen (although Jess didn't know by "thingy" I was referring to a small saucepan, not a colander.

In the end, we all had such a blast that we agreed to cook something together at least one more time in 2010.

1 comment:

AliG said...

Nice work! That sounds like so much fun. Maybe Jess is going to be a professional artist/soccer player/chef?